Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Well I didn't take a picture of it,, because I just left the pieces in the kiln and reset it, but the two didn't slump at all. The bronze and gold got completely ruined.
Oh well, I'm just practicing anyway. I tried another slumping schedule, maybe this one will work. I was going to post pictures and notes about my last slump, but like I said I didn't.
The major note about my last slump is that I only took it up to 1175 degrees and this new one has me taking it to 1475. Big difference.
I don't know if you can see anything in this video. I tried to show the inside of the kiln and how my projects looked at this temp. The kiln temp is at 1475 right now. So the inside of the kiln was bright. I might try again as it is cooling and post that, but if you can't see the classic bottle is fully slumped, but the edges slumped down and it still has the broken shape. I had hoped that the broken edges would slump inward and the broken-ness wouldn't be noticeable. But you know, wish in one hand crap in the other...
No really I'm learning stuff.
The baby food bottle has slumped too far, it is going to come out flat, and that isn't what I'm looking for. I lesson for this one, don't slump the items you want flat with the items you want a lip on.
Actually I didn't want the bottle completely flat either, but, that is how it turned out.
The thing is I don't know enough about glass work yet to know if I should lower the temp or shorten the soak time.
 I'm going to experiment tomorrow with a shorter soak time. I'm going to use baby food bottles and try to do a better job cutting it.
The fuse time I used this time was from Big Ceramic Store. They have a lot of useful info. I still have to go over everything they posted.
Segment  Rate  degrees F  Hold
1 500 500 12 min
2 500 750 12 min
3 600 1100 10 min
4 200 1300 20 min
5 250 1475 10 min
6 9999 1100 1 hr
7 500 970 30 min
120 750 20
Let kiln cool naturally.
 It is a longer fuse schedule then I have been doing, so we'll see. I might cut the hold times in half. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment